Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Home Made Granola!



Hey, I made Granola!

So, the brand I usually get sells for around $5.99/pound.

Found some recipes online. All the ingredients used in quantity are well under that price -- excepting the maple syrup & honey and probably some of the spices. I didn't do all the math, but my gut feeling is this came in around $3.50/pound.

Did have to adjust the heat a bit (burned a bit)...did it on the grille so I didn't have fine control on the heat. Looks like 1 burner on low would be plenty with a 30 to 40 minute bake time.

Rough Recipe -- there's plenty of things you can vary in it. Like I often do, I reviewed several recipes online then made up my own:

"Dry"
3 cups thick-cut (old fashion) oats
1/4 cup oat flour (for clumping action)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup flaked coconut
2 Tbsp Sesame seeds
2 Tbsp Flax
1 Tbsp Wheat Germ
2 Tsp ground cinammon

"Wet"
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
(or 1/4 Maple, 1/4 Honey, or 1/2 Honey)
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1 Tbsp Vanilla
1/4 cup brown sugar, break it up as adding.
pinch of salt

Mix dry by fingers, whisk wet, then mix together. Rubber spatula works great to empty the wet bowl then mix.

Spread on cookie sheet
325ยบ for a half hour, stir every 10 minutes

"After"
Raisins, nuts, dried fruit, etc.

Or with yogurt for breakfast.

No comments: